These are the musings and news and remembrances of Kathleen Roberts. Hopefully, this will spark memories as well as journal current happenings

Monday, November 16, 2015

My Conversion Story

My sweet son Caleb mentioned to me a while back that I had never told him my conversion story. Hmmm I thought all my kids had it memorized but just in case here goes a long post.
My family and I were living in Eagle Rock California (1223 Yosemite Dr ) in the house my parents bought so they could be close to my dads father (Fred Smith) who had bone cancer.
In the summer I saw a banner up the street for vacation bible school. When I asked my mom about it she thought it was a wonderful idea. The young woman who taught was named Joyce and she used a flannel board. I was mesmerized with the stories of Moses in the bulrushes, and the baby Jesus, and Samson and Delila and others. I loved going and I loved that we got cookies at the end. When it was over Joyce gave me a black bible with her name in it that I had for years and years (who knows it may still be here somewhere). I loved bible school and so when my school offered "release time" for students who wanted to go to a church youth group I was all in. However, this was put on by the Episcopal Church and I just didn't have the same feeling. Finally, the lady across the street, (Richards Mom - if you don't know who Richard is you are on the wrong blog) mentioned Primary to me. It was held on Wednesdays and one of the girls at my school was LDS and explained it to me. Her name was Chio Story (pronounced Chee-O) So I went and loved it from the start. Everyone was kind, and they gave me a bandelo and told me I was a Homebuilder. We learned things and sang songs. I learned to knit in Primary. And I knew I had found what was missing in my life - even at that young age. I went all through Primary then started Mutual but switched to the Glendale East Ward because that is where all my school friends went. I went through Mutual with everyone in the ward thought I was a member. Then, the end of my Junior year in High School I decided again (Mother s
aid I was too young the first time) that I wanted to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was a very good daughter who never went against my parents wishes but I told my mom that she could either come to my baptism or I would sign the consent form and do it without her. I think that was my only ultimatum - ever - to anyone. She signed and I have never been sorry. My steady boyfriend at the time (John Rogers) threatened to break up with me if I joined the church. And he did. I didn't care. I loved the Church and it's teachings and also the fact that they had authority from God to run His church. More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment